I should probably rename this post to How to Survive the First 6 Months of Twins-while-caring-for-a-2-year-old since that was beyond hard, but to keep it focused for new parents of multiples, here’s a list of tips that got me through… Barely.
1. Get babies on same feeding schedule. This will ultimately mean you need to wake one when the other wakes.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
2. If breastfeeding, feed the babies at the same time as much as possible. I recommend the TwinZ Pillow.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
3. Make as many meals to freeze ahead of birth as you can. Like, AS MANY AS YOU CAN.
4. Overestimate the help you will need and line it up in advance.
5. Stock up on used bouncy chairs and put 2 in each room so you can move from room to room more easily.
6. Follow other twin parents on social media who are a couple months ahead of you for tips and perspective.
7. Stock up on snacks you can eat with one hand. These will serve as breakfast, lunch, dinner when you forget to defrost the freezer meals.
11. Get the WeeGo baby carrier for the first couple of months. Great for preemies & newborns. For 4 months+ the Mini Monkey double baby carrier works well and the TwinGo carrier was my favorite for babies 6 months+.
12. Only buy PJs with zippers. Snaps are *not* ok at 12am, 1am, 2am, 3am, and 4am!
13. Make diaper changing stations in each room.
14. If pumping, rent a hospital grade pump like the Medela “Symphony” pump. It’s the fastest and will save you time.
15. Cry. It’s ok. No one understands. It will get better but you’re going to be in it for a while.
May the force be with you,
–Jenny Best, founder